Monday, April 11, 2011

I KIll Giants

I have long wanted to write a post about I Kill Giants, but I wanted to give it time to process, I wanted to re-read it and I wanted to re-ignite the passion I had for the book the moment I finished reading it this past October. That all happened this weekend (Here's why!).

I Kill Giants

I Kill Giants Complete Set 1-7 (Image)A fifth grade girl named Barbara Thorson declares that she single-handedly takes on giants with such fortitude and fury that she seems other-worldly, at times.  Her passion for facing these atrocities puts her outside the accepted norm in her "real life" making her a victim of bullies, Principal's office visits and the school psychologist. Throughout the seven chapter read we know one thing for sure: Barbara isn't like everyone else in her world. What we can't seem to figure out is why.

The marriage of Joe Kelly's writing and JM Ken Niimura's artwork takes us on a ride of imagination and self-exploration like few books do. We experience fantasy, elementary school (rich with bullying and the beauty of friendship) and examine real fear and inner strength.  

If you have yet to read this graphic novel, then the time is now. In fact, if you have not yet read any graphic novels and are not sure why anyone would want to do so, then I implore you - this book is the one you should pick up. This is not just one of my favorite comic books of all time, it is hands down one of my favorite BOOKS of all time. Read it, share it, then read it again. You'll thank me.


To Buy
  • As a paperback collected edition (trade paperback) ***THE COVER IMAGE SHOWN ON AMAZON IS INCORRECT! The paperback edition of the collection has the cover I started this post with!
  • As a hardcover collected edition (the TITAN edition)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment