Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Words On My Screen

Right before Hurricane Sandy hit, my husband and I ran up to Barnes & Noble to stock up for what we expected might be a couple of days without power. We bought a book each and a box of dark chocolate Moose Munch (it's an addiction... I'm at the point of admitting that). As far as we were concerned, we were prepped and ready for the oncoming storm.

And we were. Thank God, even though we live in Staten Island, we are blessed to be located in the middle of the island. While most of our neighbors lost power for days, we actually only lost it for three hours and that was because the electric company intentionally shut it off to work on the rest of the neighborhood's power. And while huge sections of our island saw complete devastation including loss of life, home and business (DONATE HERE TO HELP!), we came out unscathed - we lost two medium branches from our street trees.

I can not begin to even express how grateful I am for every blessing I have been given.

In the interim, the book I purchased on that day has given me a bit of perspective about my writing and took me down a different path during the time I have been reading it. The book is called Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg and it has been recommended to me for quite some time now. A quote presented on Write On Edge today embodies the exact mindset Goldberg's book put me into:
 
Thanks to Writing Down the Bones and a two month stint in physical therapy where I worked to enter into the world of the living, I have been writing differently in the sense that I have been virtually silent.


This is not a permanent situation.

I am on a path of discovery right now that happens to require more focus than I had been giving it while typing away on the walls of my blog. For some reason I was unable to do both without stepping back, crawling inside and understanding (or maybe just remembering) why I love to do this in the first place.

I'm coming back. I'm thinking about a bit of a redesign. I'm happy to see my words on my screen again. It's wonderful how bright the day can seem after a nice long hibernation.



No comments:

Post a Comment