Thursday, November 3, 2011

How to Enjoy Broadway for Next to Nothing

It may come as no surprise to you that I am currently strapped for cash. However, it is November 2011 and I know I am far from alone in that situation.

And, yet, last weekend I went to go see an Off-Broadway show. On Saturday night I was living the high life again, enjoying one of the finer things in life.

How did she do it?!! She has no money for that kind of thing!!

I hear you asking that question from here. If I were in your shoes, I'd be saying the same thing, but I have a secret. Today I want to share that secret with you.

My Secret 

The secret is StudentRush.org and their Will-Call Club. I found out about this gem the same way you are right now - I read a blog post from someone else (thank you New York Cliche!!!) who had enjoyed it. She claimed she was seeing Broadway and Off-Broadway shows for nothing.

I couldn't believe it.

I had to check it out for myself.

So I did. And guess what? When I get my StudentRush tickets, they actually say $0 on them! It's kind of amazing. All I have to pay is a reservation fee. The highest I have paid for that was $18 and that was for the last weekend of Bengal Tiger with Robin Williams! This weekend, I paid $5 per ticket. I don't know about you, but I can't get into a movie for that - scratch that - I can't even pay for the gas to get me to a movie for that!

How Does It Work?

When I made my first reservations with StudentRush this summer, I have to be honest, I was a little nervous. I was skeptical. As a native New Yorker I am not bred to believe in the "too good to be true" deals of a lifetime. My husband and I didn't tell anyone what we were up to just in case the plan came crashing down and we were made fools of.

In order to gt my tickets I had to meet some guy outside of a Starbucks a couple of hours before the show to pick up my tickets. Really? This had "shady" written all over it for me, but I embraced my sense of adventure and my seemingly insatiable for a a night out in these desperate financial times and went for it.

You already know what happened. I wouldn't be writing to you about this if it didn't - IT WAS A SUCCESS!! It was AWESOME!!

If you live near NYC, if you are planning to visit NYC, or you have family out here, then you need to check this site out and see all that it offers! I found this great video made by Frugal-Nomics describing the whole (FREE) process so you can come and enjoy the savings too!


StudentRush.org: A way for you to Stop and Enjoy the Culture from Frugal-nomics on Vimeo.

So now that you know my secret, perhaps we can meet up at a show!!

Which show would you love to see show up in the StudentRush Will-Call club?
Has the increasing price of theater tickets kept you away from the theater?

No comments:

Post a Comment