Wednesday, August 29, 2012

John Green Is A Hobbit

Did you know that hobbits don't get gifts on their birthday, they give them? It's one of the things I love about hobbits and their culture. I suspect that John Green, the best selling, award winning author and Vlogbrother is at least part hobbit.

You see, I just found out that John Green's birthday is August 24th and, if you follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, or GetGlue then you know exactly what I was doing on August 24, 2012. It all began in my mailbox...
FB Status B&N
That afternoon, I walked up the block to my Barnes & Noble (Yep. That's right. I claimed it. It's mine.), grabbed a stack of books to look at and start reading.

However, there was really only one book in that stack I was thinking about when I left my house. It was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.  It's the book I've been wanting to buy all year. It's the book I somehow missed at BEA. It's the book I've been wanting to read, but, to be honest with you, I have been afraid to. You're probably saying, Nicole, really? Book fear?! Well, it was more like emotion fear... the protagonist is a young girl with cancer. I lost my mom to cancer in 2006 and I wasn't sure I was ready to voluntarily place myself in a fictional world that would cause me to face the monster again. Here's what happened when I finally, bravely, started reading:

The Fault In Our Stars
That's all it took. I trusted John Green to take me where I needed to go. Not too long after that I bought the book and brought it home. I read until I fell asleep. On Saturday morning I woke up and finished reading the book in my bed - in my PJs, without breakfast - without moving until I finished the book. Here are the reactions (the few times I stopped for a moment to document them) during my read:

1. Compliments to the author:
The Fault In Our Stars reaction 1  
2. When I noticed my shirt was getting soggy from tears:
The Fault In Our Stars reaction 2 
I grabbed a roll of toilet paper...

3. Proof of my unconditional love of my little brother:
The Fault In Our Stars bookmark 
4. The dramatic conclusion:
The Fault In Our Stars FB Conclusion

It was John Green's hope that readers "feel all of things" when reading this book, well, I did. And I needed to. For that alone The Fault In Our Stars was an amazing gift. It was a gift from John Green to me on his birthday and I didn't get him ANYTHING! This is my proof that John Green's family lineage must extend back to the Shire. John Green is a hobbit and that is that. Perhaps some day I will be able to meet him for second-breakfast and thank him for all that he gave me within these pages...

Have you read The Fault In Our Stars yet? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment