Wednesday, August 29, 2012

LEVITICUS from GNT My Book --God


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.





LEVITICUS from GNT My Book --God

This book discusses all of the rules for God's people. From the day of the Sabbath to how to check your house for Mildew (?!) - it's all here. Also the first discussion of boundaries of sex (man and man "God hates that"). I found out what animals were "clean" to eat and which were not. All of the Jewish holidays and traditions were explained and God spoke of a time when His people would be exiled from their land. No "stories" here, but very interesting.

Dated: 03/13/04

To read about how I ended up with this particular version of the Bible, check out my Genesis Reading Journal entry from last week.

It is funny reading this entry now, more than eight years after I first wrote it, and seeing the note "God hates that." I remember being struck by the language, which I suppose I didn't note at the time is a result of the translation of the Bible I was reading. I distinctly remember thinking that this sounded outright silly to me. The God I know and was raised to love didn't "hate" anything. Since I was already questioning the content of the book I was reading (where the heck were all of the great biblical stories I had learned about?!), this new disconnect with the God in this translation of the Bible disconnected me from the book even more. This was the last part of the Bible I read for a long time and now that I'm realizing that, I'm wondering if I would have gone a bit further had I read a different translation!

Which leads to my question of the week: What is your favorite translation of the Bible and why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment