Wednesday, March 7, 2012

YOU Can Change The World [KONY2012]

I wholehearted believe in the power of people.

I believe that I make a difference. I also believe that you do. We each do. The sum of our parts creates the world in which we live. So, for a long time I have been consciously changing the world.

Don't believe me? Here's a snippet from a post from my blog Searching for Sustenance on March 1st (March has become "Do Something" month for me ever since) of last year:

I am going to be honest with you today. I have a problem. I want to change the world. I don't know exactly when this idea first occurred to me (college? high school? earlier?), but I know that I very much felt that was exactly why I belonged in the classroom. I am not delusional, I am completely aware of my smallness in this world, however, I believe every single one of us is capable of changing the world no matter how small we are. As I watched Dirt: The Movie last week, I saw a great story about a hummingbird who had the same problem as me. 




I am doing the best I can... Can't really ask for more than that. 

The best that I can do now is shift audiences (put out of the classroom on medical leave) and use this time to still create ripples in my small pond.
I know we can make a difference. In fact, I know we are the only ones who can. However, like everyone else, every once in a awhile ordinary day to day life starts to distract this little hummingbird.

But last night, in the middle of the night while futzing around on twitter, I noticed a video going viral that truly showed hummingbird power. (It happened to be created by the same organization that a former student of mine asked me to support on Facebook earlier in the night, so I was especially curious.)

I need you to at least take a look at it. The world needs you to. If you have to come back to it to finish it, so be it, but know this: this video holds the secret to how we can change the world. Do not take this lightly.


KONY 2012 from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.

There are so many moving moments in this video, but one of the first that hooked me was,
 Who are you to end a war? I am here to tell you: Who are you not to.
 I want to end a war. I want to end all war. Part of my role on this planet is to do that. Yours too.

Let's make Joseph Kony famous. Let's put him in prison. And when we're done with him, we'll work with #2 on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment