Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Bad Beginning - A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book the First by Lemony Snicket


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.





The Bad Beginning - A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book the First by Lemony Snicket

I noticed this series of books over a year ago and have been meaning to read it since. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The author is not joking when he writes, "there is no happy ending, no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle." I'm not sure if that's what I don't like, or if it is the story itself. I may attempt to read the second book, but honestly, I do not feel all that invested in the lives of the Boudelaire siblings and their disasters.

Dated: 05/25/03
I am so happy to have this journal entry. 
I was completely and utterly wrong about this book.
Years later my husband (then boyfriend) and I decided to give this book another shot on a road trip. We picked up the audiobook. He had never read it before and I was curious if he could tell me what it was missing. It was narrated by Tim Curry. And what I was missing was my ability to read this book correctly!! When I heard the book I thought it was hilarious and absolutely loved it.
I also gained a huge amount of respect for the CHILDREN who were able to read the book and understand it.

Has there ever been a book that you believe would be (or experienced as) enhanced by audiobook experience, rather than as a read?



No comments:

Post a Comment