Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The End, Once Upon A Time

The wrapping paper has all been swept from view, scooped into a a recycle bag and placed on the curb. The stores are reopened, but no longer sporting their incessant holiday hours. Traffic is still heavy, but seemingly less manic.

For now, at least part of the holiday season is over.

My Christmas tree still stands, and the family still hovers, but the pace of the day is beginning to fall into its regular rhythm. This year we have rain instead of snow and I am grateful. I can handle this.

However, it is not over yet. The end of the week, the month, this year still looms. 2011 can count its remaining days on the fingers of only one human hand. The end is near. This is how I have always seen December 31st - as a conclusion, as a deadline, as the last day for me to do all that I need to get done this year.

This time of year was THE END, once upon a time, but I have started to see it through a new lens.


I can't wait to begin a new year. I am curious as to what comes next in my life, in the world around me and with all of my family and friends. I don't see this week as the end of a year, instead, I now see it as a passageway to more time. An entire year of more living.

It could be fun. It could be scary. It could be boring, funny, contemplative, thrilling, or fantastic.

The fact of the matter is, it could be anything, and I can't think of anything more exciting than that!!


As we ready ourselves for all that 2012 has in store for us, I am going to take my week to turn my full attention to my family while we have each other together. I will return to Rivera Runs Through It next week when I look forward to hearing what you have planned for the year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment