Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Tao Teh Chung by Lao Tzu (translation by John C. Wu)

This is my first reading of the Tao Teh Ching, so I can not compare John C. Wu's work to other translations, but I can say that I enjoyed the reading thoroughly. Each page reads as a meditation in and of itself. For those who can read Chinese, this edition of the book included the original Chinese written characters of each poem rather than any illustrations or pictures.

If you were raised in Western traditions, as I was, reading the Tao Teh Ching can begin to give you a perspective of the individualistic nature of the Taoist philosophy where following "the way" or "the path" is simply a journey of self requiring no institution or grand gestures of ritual. To sum up this sentiment, I give you Chapter 47:

Without going out of your door,
You can know the ways of the world.
Without peeping out your window, 
You can see the Way of Heaven.
The farther you go,
The less you know.

Thus, the Sage knows without traveling,
Sees without looking,
And achieves without Ado.
I look forward to rereading this book as well as checking out other translations, as I have heard that this is truly the way to get the most out of this writing.

Have you read Tao Teh Ching?
If so, which translation(s)?  

No comments:

Post a Comment