Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This Present

You know how people say to focus on the present? That looking to the future, or dwelling on the past, is a moot point and possibly even destructive to your own progress? I must admit that on most days I agree 100%, today, however, is one of those unique days where I am at an impasse. As much as I know these facts to be true, I can't bring my soul to agree.
Here's the compelling argument my soul keeps presenting me while my brain is providing an ill-timed headache for support:

How can one positively *be* in the present when it is filled with pain, sickness and frailty? While, at that same time one can reflect back upon a past filled with happiness, joy and comfort under the warm wrap of nostalgia? Or, instead, daydream of the potential held within one's future standing strong in the sunbeams of hope?
How, in this case, is *being* in the present the healthiest option?

I am flattened by this argument at this moment. Perhaps it is the pain in my head that is clouding my own clear thoughts toward a simple resolution, but I am stymied. This particular present is no gift. This moment of pain, loneliness, helplessness, financial ruin, stresses imposed upon my loved ones simply due to my existence, hunger with no desire to eat, countless projects begun with impossible endings stretched out before them - this moment is heavy, unyielding and feels unhealthy.

I know, somewhere, there is hope in this moment. I know, somewhere, is a tiny ray of sunshine fighting to make way into my visual field.
Perhaps that is the power of the present: to be available to that tiny moment, rather than lost in wandering thoughts as it passes you by. Misery can only survive in the darkness, so we must gather our sunshine when it comes each time so we can build an armor of light. We can't miss the sunbeams, even on the days when there is only one...

Having said all that, I guess it's time I go catch some sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment