Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rewriting Memories [IWSG]

Since taking a huge step forward on my Memory Project on Monday (The Memory Project Begins), I started to realize that one part of this project is going to be a lot easier than the other. The story I wrote on Monday was easy enough to write because it was my own vivid memory - the details and the dialogue lived within my mind for years. That part of the project, the part where I document my own memories of my father, will be the "easy" part. The other half (the part that I think I will have to rely upon so much more to finish my book for my brother), where I rewrite the memories of friends and family, will be so much more difficult.

Having rewritten one of my own memories on Monday I was reminded of the preciousness of our memories. How can I possibly rewrite someone else's memory with the same kind of passion that they will? When they read my recounting of their tales, will they see them as some bastardized version of their truth?  My path to capturing the memories has been through virtual interviews. I am doing this so I can have a copy of each interviewee's words. My memory has been pretty much terrible ever since I was diagnosed with IIH. Most people don't know how bad it is and I don't want to harass them with repeated calls asking them for the same details over and over again!


So I ask you, my dear Insecure Writer's Support Group (I missed you last month!), what techniques do you use when trying to write other people's stories? How do you interview non-writers in order to pull out their stories rather than just a listing of facts? What techniques do you use to write the story of someone who is long passed away?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!


2 comments:

  1. Maybe when you ask a question, follow it with a question that backs it up, so when you write in sounds like a story not just a list. Also, maybe just write in past tense, but you probably already knew that. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a recorder and just let me talk. Guide them a little but let them take you where they want to go.

    ReplyDelete