Monday, September 2, 2013

The Memory Project Begins

For this week's Sunday writing prompt on StoryDam, Morgan asked us to write about memories in her post What Is Your Pomegranate?. Her timing was/is really impeccable. Now that my husband's Masters is complete and he'll be returning to work tomorrow, it is time I turn my attention to what I am calling my Memory Project.

What Is The Memory Project?

I have described it briefly in previous posts, but the Memory Project is a Christmas gift I am working on for my little brother. Our father passed away when we were both young (I was 12, he was 8). I found out years after his passing, when both my brother and I were adults, that he had little memory of our father. It broke my heart and felt terribly unfair. I have often wondered how to rectify the situation. This summer, just weeks before my brother's birthday, it came to me: I'll write him a book of memories.

I'll write my own. Interview and ask for help from friends and family and see what I come up with. Lord only knows what this whole thing will look like in the end, but I'm hoping it turns out to be something like a book gift for my brother.

The (tentative) Plan

My current approach is that I am going to write and gather stories up until the end of October. For the month of November I will bring it all together in book form, edit it with pictures, etc and then find a way to print it in December. Hopefully it will be ready to wrap by Christmas Eve! 

My First Memory

Today I took my first stab at capturing a memory of the three of us - me my brother and our father. It is inspired by the thought of zeppoles every time I see them, smell them or crave them. It is one of my favorite memories because it captures so much of who we were as a family. I wrote it up and posted it on a blog I created long ago, but have done literally nothing with called Rivera wRites Through It. I have decided that, until I am ready for publication, I am going to gather my memory project stories on that blog so I have somewhere to send my friends and family who are curious to track my progress. I'd love any feedback you can give me on this first post Memory Project - Zeppoles

Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift! You can give your brother something no one else can: memories of his dad. I'm sure he will be incredibly touched by the thought and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great gift. Good luck with it. I'm sure your brother will be blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a sweet big sister. He will love the gift and treasure it forever. :D

    ReplyDelete