Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.






Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

After all of the books I have been reading this summer, I was quite surprised to find a 58 page book on Joe's [English teacher] reading list! A nice short story about a family inviting a "plain" woman into their homes to be a new wife and mother. The woman, Sarah, must get used to living away from the sea she so adores in order to take on this role. I remember, when I was younger, watching a TV special based on this book - it was OK, as was this book.

Dated:08/19/02

I recall, my students at the time I read this book, were more inclined to pick this book off of the summer reading list rather than one of the others, merely because it was so short! When you were in school and picking books to read off the summer required reading list how did you make your selection?
How would you make your selections if put in that position now?

No comments:

Post a Comment