Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.





A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

This first novel of Betty Smith is a wonderful look back at Brooklyn at the turn of the century (20th). Francie Nolan is a poor, astute young girl growing up with her brother, Neely, in an ever-changing world. Every character in this book is stunningly vivid. I plan to recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read it yet, especially girls/women, since it focuses mostly upon Francie's life and the women around her. I loved this book.

Dated: 08/19/02

It is quite interesting to me, looking back at this journal entry that I make no mention of the Bible reading in this book. For some reason, this is a fact that has always stuck with me from this book, but I guess, did not seem important to mention at the time...
What are some of the "little things" that stick with you from your favorite books?

No comments:

Post a Comment