Thursday, July 28, 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy

Today marks my father's 63rd birthday. While he passed away on Thanksgiving of his 40th year of life, this date never passes without a thought of him. So here's a little something I just wrote for the first man in my life.
Me & my daddy in the happiest place on Earth.


They called him Meatball
Two called him son
 Most called him Billy
In my heart, he was the first one.

A smile to light caverns
A laugh as beautiful as song
A man so full of spirit
A life not lived long.

An angel to watch over us
An empty chair at our meals
His heart couldn't be fixed
After so much time, mine still heals.
My 5th bithday ~ thank you for teaching me how to ride a bike, too.

"Thank you" were my last words said
Not knowing it was my goodbye
We had such big plans for the day
No one knew he was going to die.

I'm happy I said, "Thank you,"
Though I knew not what for
Then it was for a quick recipe
But NOW it is for so much more.

Thank you for your love
Thank for my brother
Thank you for our family
Thank you for loving my mother.

Thank you for LIVING your life
Thank you for teaching me "happy"
Thank you for all that is you,
But most of all, thank you for being my Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment