Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Number Devil - A Mathematical Adventure by Hans Mangus Enzensberger


The following post is taken directly from one of my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.





The Number Devil: A Mathematical AdventureThe Number Devil - A Mathematical Adventure by Hans Mangus Enzensberger

What a fun book! A boy, Robert, dreams of a Number Devil that takes him, humorously, through many mathematics topics. While the official names of Mathematics and terms are not given, an index in the back of the book refers to all of the correct terms. I will read this again and possibly read it with my students as part of this Spring's (2001) MP2* curriculum!

Dated: 01/28/01

*MP2 was the second semester of a "Math Foundations"/PreAlgebra course that I taught to ninth graders. (I DID use the book and the kids liked it!)

Have you read The Number Devil? 
If so, will you be my friend???
If not, how do you feel about reading a novel centered around mathematics?

No comments:

Post a Comment