Monday, April 9, 2012

First Book Love Of A Girl Named Michael

I've been following A Girl Named Michael for quite a while now. She has two blogs, and when I saw the second was called A Girl Named Michael Reads a Book, I knew that she would be a great person to join the Rivera Runs Through It Book Love Series. She was immediately excited by the project and quickly responded with the following, wonderful story of her first book love. Here's her story...

Hi My name is Michael and I love books. I write about books over at  A Girl Named Michael Reads a Book. I have another blog but its not about books so who cares.

When Nicole asked me to write about my first book love...I was excited to share and immediately knew what experience I wanted to share.

What was my first book love?

Wow that's a great question. First I have to say I have always like books. At a young age my mom taught me that books were special we weren’t to write in them or color in them and we had to treat them careful so the pages don't get torn. I have very clear memories of having books always in my life, I even remember the day I got my first library card. But I didn't fall in love with books until I was much older.

That may have been an exaggeration. I was 10 and in the 5th grade at the time but I felt so very very mature at the time. I and had saved up all my money to buy a book from the book order form the school sends home with the kids. For reasons I can't remember I had decided I needed to buy a book with my very own money. I saved up every penny, nickle and dime I could find, earn or weasel out of people

When my teacher handed out the order forms I very carefully looked at every book and read the brief description. Then I saw it...Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. A book about sister who’s father was off fighting a war. I clearly remember thinking I have 2 sisters (my youngest was just months old), it could be like our life. I went home counted up all my change and turned my order form in the next day.


I was so excited the day it arrived. Remember those days when your teacher would have a big box and would start pulling out the books and organizing them. Then walk over to you and give you your books. It was like Christmas at school. I remember very clearly Mr. Whitaker bringing the book to me, I didn’t often get books because my single working mom couldn’t afford to get me any but this time Mr. Whitaker was walking to my desk. He handed me my book looked at me and said I think you will like this book. I was so excited I immediately got out a pen and wrote my name all along the edge. I didn’t want anyone to think it was there book.

That night after I was suppose to be going to bed I started to read my new book. (I always thought I was sneaky back then staying up past bed time but my mom recently made a comment that let me know she knew how late I was up.)

I was instantly hooked. Over the next month I read the book with every page I fell more in love with the characters and the time. Depending on what was going on I identified with each of the sisters and developed my first book crush on Laurie (Laurence). Because of this book I have had a life long love affair with historical fiction and history.

26 years later I still have the book and I reread it every couple years.

And because I took a “chance” on this book and I loved it, I often take chances on other books. I will randomly pick a book of the book shelf at the library knowing that it might turn out to be my next book love.

And that is all that matters when it comes to books. Finding your next book love.

Getting book deliveries in school were truly some of the most exciting days I can remember in elementary school! I would like to thank Michael for sharing her story with us and for reminding me of those fun times. It really was just like Christmas at school - well put!
Did you ever buy books from school sales such as these? 
What about saving up money to buy your own book; do you remember the first book you ever bought for yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment