Thursday, April 26, 2012

Twitter Hashtags and Chats for Writers [StoryDam]

Story Dam
Over at the StoryDam website, I've been sharing my experiences with social media and writing with the community. This week I shared what I have learned about Twitter Hashtags and Chats for Writers. There is a lot of information out there, so it is my hope to provide an introduction. If you, too, are wondering what hashtags and chats are out there to support your in your writing life, here's a peek at what I shared.
Twitter Logo

In my last StoryDam post, I discussed Where Facebook Fits in a Writer’s Life, then, as a community, we discussed it via Twitter. The irony was not lost on me, at all. The results of our discussion were not surprising to me either: many of our community members stated that Twitter was where they had most of their writing friends. This is the case for me as well. In fact,all of my current writing life inspirations emanated from my time on Twitter.

First of all, the current creative team behind StoryDam met on Twitter and has yet to meet in real life! Secondly, I found out about a regular writing opportunity and became part of the writing staff for Word of the Nerd on Twitter. Finally, most recently, a fellow Twitter writing buddy turned me on to an awesome writing challenge that we, and now a number of fellow Twitter-writers, are going to tackle starting this week: one short story per week for one year.

If those three things were all that Twitter had given me in my time connected, it would already be worth every minute, but that is just the highlight reel. However, when I first got my twitter account I didn’t know where to begin. I wrote lines of 140 characters or less and wondered, “Who’s reading this?” In my mind I would play Pink Floyd’s IsThere Anybody Out There? over and over again. That was, of course, until I learned the power of the hashtag and, in turn, Twitter chats.

No comments:

Post a Comment