Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What's Up With Nicole?

It's time for me to return to some routines here. With that comes What's Up Wednesday from Jaime Morrow! Here we go:


Shop Indie Bookstores
What I'm Reading

Right now I am in the middle of listening to the Clash of Kings audiobook by George R. R. Martin.  I still haven't decided if I am going to continue on to book three of the series since I know the Game of Thrones HBO series hasn't finished that book yet, but I will have to make a decision soon. So far I have watched everything before reading in this series, I'm not sure I want to switch gears.

What I'm Writing

I'm back at work on my Camp NaNoWriMo project called Now What? I actually hadn't read a word of it since the end of April 2012, so coming back to it this week was a lot of fun. I can see a lot issues I have to work on that mostly deal with description (both character and location). Since the book takes place in New York City, I think I have too strong of a mental visual of these places I go to all of the time, that I am forgetting that anyone reading the story not from around here may have no idea what this world looks like. I've decided to put my story on Wattpad while I work on it to help to keep me accountable while possibly getting some exposure as well. If you're in the critiquing mood, please feel free to go check out Now What? (or at least the portion I have posted so far!).

What Inspires Me Right Now

I have to give credit where credit is due - my writing group helps me so much. Due to my health and other wacky conflicts, I was unable to make it to any writing group meetings in the entire month of September. This past Saturday, even though it was my birthday, I made it a point to get my butt to the first October meeting. What happened? I was finally inspired to get back to all of my words!


What Else I've Been Up To 

The one thing I have been able to keep up with has been my writing for the StoryDam website. Each Monday has been a new segment in the Building a Better Blog series and Wednesdays have been split between Author Interviews and Book Reviews.

Coming up I have a pretty exciting weekend ahead because it is NEW YORK COMIC CON!!! Tomorrow is the first day, and I'll be going every day but Saturday, so I have to start getting my act together. This is loads of fun, but it is also quite trying on this weak little body of mine. I have to pace myself, pack lunch and snacks and make sure I don't over do it! (Wish me luck!) The best part about this year's NYCC for me is that my little brother is coming with me on Friday! This will be his first time, so it is going to be loads of fun!!

12 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday!


    I live so close to NYC that I think I'll go there for everything, but I rarely do - because you know, it's 2 hours to go, then 2 to get back - last time I did that (for BEA) I got home so late and so tired, I had to stop twice to get coffee or I would sleep on the drive!
    Have fun at Comic Con for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, have so much fun at NY Comic Con -- sounds like a blast! I'm super inspired by my CPs and writing friends as well. They never fail to blow me away with their talent and unending support. Have a fantastic week, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy NYCC! It's always nice to have a supportive writing group - it's one of the things I miss about studying creative writing at university!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think being part of a writing group would be fantastic! And so good for accountability too. My sister and I have Skype visits where we talk out story issues and ideas and that is so, so helpful.


    New York Comic Con would be so much fun! Have a blast for the rest of us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun at NYCC! Sounds like it'll be awesome :D

    Writing groups are awesome, aren't they? I'll always be grateful to my old one for all the help they gave me with my book.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a while to find a group that was such a good match, but even when it wasn't 100%, I always came home revived and ready to write!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found my writing group using meetup.com - maybe there's a group near you that will be as awesome as mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NYCC is loads of fun. I am trying to hit up as many panels about writing and character building that they offer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My group is so talented as well. It is nuts how creative they are. It really helps me to push myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you for driving the two hours for BEA! I take the bus in and out and I still feel like I should splurge for a hotel room in the city for these conventions. They are SO exhausting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jossie Marie SolheimOctober 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

    I'd love to be part of a writing group but I haven't been able to find anything locally :( the joys of living in the middle of no where I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your health holds up so that you can enjoy Comic Con! That sounds like so much fun. :) Congrats on getting back to writing after needing to take a break; that can be so difficult. Sounds like you have an awesome writing group!


    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete