Monday, October 21, 2013

Keeping Secrets As A Writer

Personally, I don't really like secrets. I'm a sharer - big time. As a writer, I feel like I share even more than I probably should most of the time. As a facebook addict, my life has become an open book in ways I never would have previously imagined. I find it difficult to keep my personal feelings private, my dreams, my philosophies on all types of topics are the things I write about, react to and, yes, SHARE. Even when I go forth with the intention of keeping something private, I find that its essence leaks through my written word. I don't know if others can read between the lines, but I can.

So what happens when I have been asked to keep something really important as a secret?

Simple. Writer's block.

Although, I don't know if writer's block is the accurate term. My fingers so desperately want to tap out long sinewy sentences about the juicy details of that which resides in my brain, but my frontal lobe knows better: BLOCK! This is a secret. It must be kept quiet. The fingers must stay still, or occupy themselves with some other tale to be spun.

Seems easy enough - write about something else. Write about anything else, Nicole. Won't that help you keep this secret?

These are the things that I thought. But as my blog reflects, that has not been possible as of late. That is why today I am at least writing about the elephant in the room. I will not describe the elephant, or tell you what he is standing on, but I wanted you to know he is there. It is my hopes that in pointing him out, I will now be able to write around him.
Elephant in the Room
Elephant in the room by Greg Pizzoli

How do you feel about secrets? 
How do keep your mind from becoming obsessed with your silence?
Does writing help you keep your secrets? If so, HOW?

5 comments:

  1. I have trouble keeping secrets, well things about myself. Like you, Facebook has become a place where I share even more. People make fun of us, but I can't help it, it is just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried writing it down and then deleting it? Maybe getting it out, even if you don't share, might unblock you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good idea. I am only worried that I will feel like it is "out there" and then accidentally discuss it casually!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This "anonymous blog" idea is intriguing to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa I'm in the same boat! We are at least at the point where all my friends and family "get it", thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete