Thursday, October 6, 2011

Now That I Can Be President...

There are certain birthdays in everyone's life that just seem a little bit more special than the others. As an American, my 35th birthday is such an occasion. Reaching this age means I can finally run for President of the United States!
So, now that I can run for President, I thought I would run down a bunch of the things that have been running through my mind in terms of improving the country and world I live in.
  • I would like to make sure fantastic programs like Reading is Fundamental maintain their funding and I'd like to see a similar program developed to battle Innumeracy in America ("Math is Monumental" is one name I'm toying with, but I am open to suggestions).
  • I would like to see solar panels back on the white house and on all new construction. I don't want to hear/read any NONSENSE about how America "can't compete" with China in green energies and should, therefore, NOT EVEN BOTHER TO TRY. (This makes me a little upset.)
  • We need to END FRACKING.
  • Wi-fi/Internet access should be provided in all schools and libraries.
  • We will get our asses in Mexico and start helping our neighbors who are LITERALLY dying because of our love of drugs.
  • Legalize marijuana and somehow split the production between US and Mexico.
  • I need to figure out what's REALLY going on in our war, then make some decisions there. (I have a feeling I'll never get to know the real story until I am in office!)
  • Arrange a sit down between Israel and Palestine and iron this crap out already!
  • Teach and use sustainable farming practices here and abroad - don't ship our food overseas, ship our skills there!
  • I'm not down with the death penalty.
  • I think we should celebrate a monthly Earth Hour to conserve energy.
  • End Monsanto (there... I said it, now I'll never be elected!).
  • Protect our water.
  • LABEL OUR FOODS.
  • REFORM OUR SCHOOLS. I think we should seriously look at Finland's education system and we should LEARN. (Some key tenants that I love: Trust in the schools, No such thing as failing schools, multiple teachers in a room, relaxing environments, teachers stay with students, and a culture that values education.)  
That's all that I'm thinking about right now, but there is so, so much more. The problem is, though, I have absolutely no campaign funds, so I pretty much have no chance in this race!

However, I do not want to leave you feeling hopeless. Perhaps, in me you have found the candidate of your dreams. Perhaps you are thinking, "Rivera: RUN FOR IT!" If that is the case and you want to support this cause, this blog or just this blogger, then today is YOUR LUCKY DAY!!


What do you think??

By clicking the "Donate" button above you can donate to the Rivera Runs Through It/Rivera RUNS FOR IT cause!

Coming up soon: an e-mail subscription link, so you can be at the cutting edge of all of the Rivera Runs breaking news and events!! Stay tuned.

As another black turtlenecked dreamer once said, "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish," and I'd like to add to that: Keep Smiling!!


What issue/issues do you think I was rmiss in leaving out of my first rundown of "things to do" as leader of the free world?
What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment