Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Chosen by Chaim Potok


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.




The Chosen by Chaim Potok

This was the first book on my students' reading list. It was a typical reading list book - small words and a story that's hard to get into. I would have never read this book on my own, however, it was not that bad. I learned a lot about the Jewish faith and the different sects within it. It was a pretty long read, but it was quite interesting. I don't think I would personally recommend this book, however, I will not discourage anyone from reading it. Side Note: I don't think any of my student will read this. :(

Dated: 06/23/02
Is there a book from your "required reading" days that felt like torture to get through? How about one that surprised you by how good it turned out to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment