Friday, March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games: Book VS. Movie [Review]

It's just before 3am here on the east coast and I'm back home from The Hunger Games movie's midnight showing. I am overjoyed to let you know that I thought it was amazing.

My Preconceptions of the Film 
 
I went to this movie excited, but guarded. I worried about how a PG-13 rating might diminish the ominous threat posed by the Capitol and their games. I wondered if the absence of characters like Madge (the mayor's daughter who gives Katniss Everdeen her mockingjay pin in the book) would pull apart themes in the story before it even truly began. I was sure that this book, written in first person, would get lost in translation as it was adapted for the screen. As I sat in the theater filled with squealing teenagers ogling over Peeta Mellark and his every romantic gesture, I realized that all of my worries were unnecessary.

I may not have told you this before, but I do not work in the film industry. While I tend to have creative outbursts from time to time, I was reminded tonight that I lack the scope and the vision to have fully imagined how true professionals in the field could bring this book to life on the screen maintaining its tone, its themes and its unique setting of the world of Panem. 

First Person Perspective Versus Third Person Omniscient 

The most powerful tool used in the film adaptation of this book to movie was the cutting of the strings of our first person perspective. In Suzanne Collins' novel we are taken through the story of the Hunger Games through the eyes of our protagonist, Katniss Everdeen. This makes for an emotionally charged and intimate story. The reader feels connected to Katniss, they understand her motivations and they root for her through and through. The one weakness in it, however, (which is present in all first person tales) is that we are limited in our understanding of Katniss's world since we know it only as she does. While we are privy to her internal monologues and feelings on all things happening to her, we still may not know why such things are occurring.

The Hunger Games movie did an amazing job of taking us "behind the scenes." For the first time we are able to see plots and plans made by the Gamemakers, by President Snow and even witness reactions to the Games in one of the Districts. Although these are all things that Katniss eventually learns about in The Hunger Games series, to see them happening in real time helps bring the dystopian world of Panem to life.

How PG-13 and the Violence Were Maintained
 
As far as my worry over the PG-13 rating of this film, I, again, must give credit to the creative thinkers behind the film for showing me how one can portray violence without great gory offense. When the rating for the film was initially announcd, I declared that the story was doomed - How could a story with teens violently killing teens get a PG-13 rating?! I imagined they would be glossing over the violence and, in turn, be glossing over the very nature of the Hunger Games. So here's the trick I observed - when a violent scene approached and was needed, the cinematography itself seemed to shift.

It felt as if the camera was unsteady, shaky, perhaps one could even describe it as dizzying. Horrible things were happening on the screen, but as the camera jerked this way and that, we only saw bits and pieces of the act. This sounds like it may be annoying to watch, but what I found was that it was unsettling and I can't imagine a better feeling to have in the presence of horrific violence. So, with a little creative twist, the appropriate mood was struck, the audience was more than aware of the violent act and the rating for the target audience was maintained. Brilliant.

Character and Setting Design
 
My final commentary is reserved for the overall look of the people and places in the film. As I watched the trailers getting ready for the film's release, I was taken aback by the stark looking Capitol that kept flashing before my eyes, I thought the children of district 12 looked too uniform and I wasn't sure about the brief glimpses of the Capitol citizens I saw. Silly, silly me to make such rash judgements on snippets!

Within the full context of the movie, there was nothing "uniform" about District 12 citizens except that their clothing all looks drab - in the book this is alluded to due to the nature of their industry, coal mining. As for the my impression of a "stark" Capitol, this is simply a reflection of the very modern, sleek design of all that is there; most of the details which add a unique flair and personality to the place were left out of the trailers. The most magnificent Capitol detail of all, however, was its citizens. Collins writes of a population obsessed with personal appearance and enhancements through make-up, surgery, tattoos, fantastic hair designs and loud, garish style, but I was unsure this description could be appropriately presented on the screen. The people of the Capitol were just the right kind of eye-catching - I wanted to see their every detail, but when I would look closely, their unnaturalness would turn from fantastic to disturbing.

Final Comments
 
As I assess this movie from the perspective of a reader of The Hunger Games books, I am happy to report that this movie adaptation is one I think readers will be happy to come home from. Madge is not the only character missing and, yes, there are a couple of changes here and there made either due to time limitations or story flow that may initially sting. However, by movie's end I will be surprised if my fellow readers don't leave this film feeling satisfied.

Hunger Games fans, this time the odds were ever in our favor - go get your friends, get your tickets and enjoy!

Have you seen it yet? 
What are your impressions of the movie?
Have you read the books yet?





***FOR HUNGER GAMES FANS: TEEFURY IS FEATURING A HUNGER GAMES THEMED T-SHIRT ALL DAY ON MARCH 23, 2012***
TeeFury.com
REMEMBER YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TO GET THIS $10 T-SHIRT BEFORE IT GOES AWAY FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment