Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Overdue Thank You Note


It's day 2 of the Scintilla Project. Here are the prompt offered up: 

Day 2: Thursday, March 15, 2012
  • Prompt A: When did you realise you were a grown up? What did this mean for you? Shock to the system? Mourning of halcyon younger days? Or the embracing of the knowledge that you can do all the cool stuff adults do: drink wine, go on parent-free vacations, eat chocolate without reprimand?
  • Prompt B: No one does it alone. Write a letter to your rescuer or mentor (be it a person, book, film, record, anything). Share the way they lit up your path.
I went for Prompt B this time.

To the Song that Saved my Sanity,

I was 29 years old and there was a day when I lost myself completely... I stood in the shower and all I knew was that my hope was all gone. I just had to keep strong. For my mother, for my brother, for everyone... for me.

I was hysterical. I had hoped the water would mask the tracks of my tears and the sounds of my sobs. I prayed for something to grab onto, something to believe in. Then, above it all I heard you. My shower radio had been playing all along, but it hadn't truly sung to me until that moment. I never heard you before that moment.

You sang to me and you saved me. You told me to move along. You said that even when my hope was gone, and all that I needed was to keep strong that what I should do was move along. It was only two words, but it was as much as I could handle. I moved along.

I don't think I would have made it without that instruction. So, I thank you. I did not come out of the drama unscathed, but I came out. You rescued me from hopelessness, from my own despair. I was able to emerge from the shower and face my dying mother again. For the rest of the week I had her I moved along.

Thank you for finding me.

Forever Grateful,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment