Friday, April 19, 2013

He's Alive

Never have two words ever brought down such a feeling of relief for me.

He's alive.

Monday afternoon, we were struck with an unexpected and inexcusable violent act at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. It was senseless, violent and earth-shattering.

We were confused, hurting and enraged by the loss of life and livelihoods.

We found out two brothers were to blame. We still don't know why. When one brother was taken out in a gunfight last night I worried we never would. Honestly, we still might not. But there was something else that worried me about his death. I worried we were answering violence with violence. I worried that those larger groups who brought down the terror upon us were going to sit back and say, "Look at them. Look at how easily they kill." And while I know it is not easy for us, and that these are extenuating circumstances, I thought they would use that to rally more "troops."

What can they say now? Will they say we are weak? That we don't know how to fight back?

I think the message here is that we are better than that. We can honor those lives lost by remembering them, helping their families and investigating this case to its fullest to be better prepared against these senseless acts. Revenge does nothing for them, or for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment