Friday, April 26, 2013

Writing A Novel - World Building

In the entire Writing a Novel from A To Z Challenge, this, my post all about World Building, might be my favorite post of the month. The simple reason is: I can take no credit for it whatsoever! In my exploration of fellow A to Z Challengers I stumbled upon Cynthia, fellow writer and SCWBI member, who selected World Building as her theme on her blog Read is the New Black. I can't even begin to give Cynthia enough props for the amazing job she has done all month. I have learned so much and look forward to each post every day as it reaches my inbox.

In each post Cynthia sums up the importance of the world building element of the moment and then provides a number of examples from both literature and the screen where the element was used effectively. So, for a full education on world building at its best, I give you Cynthia's posts. I highly recommend that, while you are checking these posts out, you just go ahead and subscribe to Read is the New Black.
World Building A to Z: Architecture, Ancestry, and the Arts
World Building A to Z: Beauty and Beasts
World Building A to Z: Change, Customs, and Calendar 
World Building A to Z: Diseases and Death
 
 In her profile Cynthia says that she was a former English teacher, but I am still in awe of the amount of references she can bring up for each post! She has done so much reading and viewing deeply that I can do nothing more than bow to her expertise.

I hope you have found these posts as enlightening as I have. Please comment on Cynthia's blog to let her know!
Thanks for reading!
Is there some element of world building that somehow got missed in this alphabet?
What are some of your favorite literary examples of world building?
Which, of the examples above, had you not thought of before?



4 comments:

  1. THANK YOU so much for featuring my blog and my theme for this month! You are so thoughtful for putting this post together. It's great that we got to meet through the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! Thanks for making my "w" day so easy and informative! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A to Z has been a great experience. I've discovered Nicole on Twitter (because we both posted on "Voice" and now Cynthia's blog here (I'll go check it out). Hope to see you around MROP; today I discuss Xenophobia. Two more days to go, then some rest ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a historical writer, world-building is essential. It's also very important when you write about characters outside of your native culture and/or religion.

    ReplyDelete