Saturday, April 13, 2013

Writing A Novel - LINKS!

Whether you are writing a novel or a short story, who doesn't love LINKS?! Today's post is a list of my favorite writing related links. I expect to update this page regularly, but let's see what I have for you for now:

Links for Writing Communities
  • Write On Edge - This is where it all began for me. While I was writing on Searching for Sustenance (my food revolution blog) I came across this site and wanted nothing more than to be a part of its community. It's all about creative writing at Write On Edge: tips and inspiration and prompts every week. Join in the linkys and find where all your fellow online writers are hiding.
  • StoryDam - Another community of writers that began as its own website, but evolved into a social media gathering of writer-folks. This is the link to StoryDam's FB page where prompts, inspiration and links are shared, but don't miss out on the Thursday night (8pmEST) #StoryDam chats on Twitter hosted by @StoryDam.
  • ROW80 - or A Round of Words in 80 Days is another amazing community of writers. Here, you set a writing goal for yourself, blog about it and check in twice a week (Wednesdays and Sundays). Keeping connected with others on their journey is just part of the fun while you gain support for whatever project (big or small) you are currently working on.
  • SCBWI - The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators is a group I have just joined. It is open to anyone who is interested in children's books and is widely recognized by the industry. First year's membership is $85.
Links for Sharing As You're Writing
  • Figment - "Write Yourself In" is their tagline, as they invite you to post your writing for everyone to read, review and give "hearts" to. This is a great place to work through projects with regular feedback, or flex your writing muscles with frequent writing contests. There are innumerable discussion boards and groups to join to become more active in the community.  
  • Wattpad - I just discovered this site this week (through a story on the Today Show about a teenage author from the UK getting published after experiencing incredible success on the site), so I haven't had much time to explore (I've been sort of distracted with WRITING A NOVEL and an A to Z blogging challenge!!), but it appears to be a community similar to Figment.
  • Leanpub - This is another site I just learned about (thanks to Camp NaNoWriMo!). According to the site's description, if you're brave enough (which I am not... yet), you can post your novel as you write it and still be ready to present it to publishers when you are done.
Links for Learning
  • Susan Sipal: Myth, Magic & Mystery Well, for me, this site will always be known as Harry Potter for Writers, because that's how I found it. Susan's book on the lessons writers can learn from Harry Potter was turned into an online course that I found FASCINATING. Her blog continues her in-depth look at all myth, magic and mystery in writing, so if these are topics you are interested in, I suggest you subscribe!
  • Savvy Authors - Although my own health has prevented me from completing the two courses I attempted to take through Savvy Authors, I must say they were both amazing while I was in them.  For quick paced, affordable online courses with regular feedback and knowledgeable instructors, you need to check out Savvy Authors' website. This is also home to an active community of both published and unpublished authors.
Links for Writing Conferences
  • WriteOnCon - This was the first online workshop I stumbled upon. The great thing about this conference (aside from the fact that it is FREE) is that even if you can't make it to the day of the live conference, all of the activities are saved on the site for future reference.  On the "off season" when no conference is happening, the community stays active and hosts such events as this Spring's "Pitch Fest" held in March.
  • The Writer's Dojo - This has turned into more of an awesome writer community, but they have hosted an online writing conference similar to WriteOnCon, so keep your eyes peeled. In the meantime, though, join the dojo and see what rank ninja you are!
Links I Am Subscribed To
  • The Writer's Almanac  - I believe this is the transcript from a Public Radio Show. Every morning I receive an email to the day's link which includes a poem followed by interesting writer facts about the day's date (ie - whose birthday it is, a day in writing, or a book's  history, etc.). I enjoy this read each day.
  • Funds for Writers - This is a newsletter put together by Hope Clark including various writing markets, grants and opportunities for the serious writer.
  • Storyfix - After my fascination with Larry Brooks's book Story Engineering, I couldn't help but subscribe to his blog. He regularly analyzes well known stories to show why  they resonate, as well as offer up daily tips on fixing your story.
  • Writing Forward - Here's another great resource for all things writing - grammar, creativity, writing resources, prompts and more!
Links I Constantly Refer To
  • NaNoPals - Although this is a fairly new creation, it has been a great blog so far. Also a twitter handle and hashtag, NaNoPals is all about writing and connecting with other writers online.
  • Read is the New Black - A new discovery, thanks to this A to Z Challenge, this blogger picked the theme of "World Building" and I am LOVING it!
  • Aerogramme Writers' Studio - This was a new discovery, thanks to StumbleUpon, that has yielded a number of very interesting articles.
Link for a Laugh
  • Making Things by Oatmeal - I figured I'd end off with this one. Since I had a lot of these similar feelings when I read it last night with all the pressure of the A to Z Challenge along with my noveling every night. Got to love Oatmeal! 
I imagine I will come back to this post from time to time to update it and add to it (maybe even later today when I think back on some glaring omissions - like... oh crap... where's the section on MY WRITING FRIENDS?!?), but today is the day of the Camp NaNoWriMo MARATHON and I need to get moving!

Thanks for reading!
Any suggestions for links I should add (or at least be following myself)? 

1 comment: