Monday, April 15, 2013

Writing A Novel - Motivation

When writing a novel, motivation applies to a number of aspects - character and plot, to name two - but this post is about writer motivation. A couple of days ago I wrote a post encouraging you all to "Keep Going!" with your writing, but that's not always easy. Life gets in the way, self-doubt gets in the way and, well, sometimes you might not "be in the mood." None of these add up to a good reason to stop writing. You must, as Henry Miller put it, "Work according to Program and not according to mood." So you must find your motivation. I've got a couple of motivations in my corner, I thought I'd share them with you in case one helps you out.

Motivation #1: Camaraderie

Particularly at times of year when online writing challenges are going on, writing can be a means to connection with others. However, even when it is not a National Novel Writing month, you can find people to write with on Twitter under such hashtags as #amwriting, #NaNoPals and #wordmongering.

Motivation #2: Accepting a Challenge

My second motivation works because I am a very competitive person, except , rather than competing with others, I am most competitive with myself. I have placed a number of challenges before myself that I wish to accomplish. This alone is enough for them to get done. Obviously, "writing a novel" is one of those challenges, but then other arise along the way.

For example, on Twitter this weekend I saw @NaNoVancouver ask who was up for a #30min1K. I was sure I didn't understand, Could this really mean 1,000 words written in 30 minutes? I asked and found out it was not only possible, but that a number of people had accomplished it. Last night I decided to finally give it a go myself. That was my motivation last night. It worked. I wrote for a half hour straight and put 1,022 more words into my WIP!

Motivation #3: Make it an Event

I have just recently turned the Barnes & Noble Cafe trips my husband and I have been taking into writing opportunities. There's something about taking this laptop out of its natural environment that just add excitement to the entire activity. That's enough motivation for me.

BUT The Secret to My Success Is...
Motivation #4: WRITER'S BROWNIES!

Hello, my name is Nicole Rivera, and I am a chocoholic. I love chocolate in all forms, but brownies are extra special yummy awesomeness. And even though I am stuck in a body that is both gluten and dairy intolerant, Betty Crocker was kind enough to put together a super delicious Gluten Free Brownie mix (so delicious, in fact, that my gluten gobbling husband loves them too!). When I am writing a novel, I bake up a batch of these brownies and call them "Writer's Brownies." There are strict rules around them: they must be earned. You may only eat a brownie, IF you have written something that day.

These brownies are so motivating, even my husband has begun to write his own first story, just so he can have some. Yesterday, (three days into his brownie earning) he thanked me for getting him to write. He said the Writer Brownies were a really good idea.

The brownies work because my husband and I love them. Find your loves and use them. Create a reward system unique to you.

What do you love? What could you use to motivate yourself to write? What is so rewarding (or delicious) that it will bring you joy even when your words are driving you crazy?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some good plans (aka the brownie rewards) for keeping yourself motivated. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia/Read is the New BlackApril 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM

    I like Motivation #4--- I too am a chocoholic. I try and I try, but I can't say no to good chocolate. We could probably be sitting next to each other at those meetings, LOL.

    ReplyDelete