Wednesday, June 1, 2011

10 Reasons I LIVE in Converse Sneakers

My husband knows it.

My family knows it.

My friends know it.

My coworkers know it.

My students know it.

I love Chucks. I wear them ALL THE TIME. My husband made one rule for my wedding: No Converse! He knows if he didn't say it, it was going to happen (I wore lacy Sketchers instead, but that's a post for another day...).

So I figured that it was time that one burning question got answered, once and for all:
WHY DO I LIVE IN CONVERSE ALL STARS?

There are so many reasons, let's start with my top 10!

1. Wearing my Chucks is like giving my feet little hugs all day long.







2. I feel more grounded when wearing my Chucks ~ I am closer to the Earth.







 3. Nothing brings the colors of an outfit together quite like a splash of color from my Chucks.






4. All Chuck Taylor All Stars are washer and dryer friendly and last forever!






5. My Chucks always allow me to express my true holiday spirit - whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Valentines Day, Earth Day, 4th of July or whatever else you can think of!



6. The long laces of my Chucks are entertaining for cats, helpful in teaching little ones how to tie shoes and quite resilient to my incessant pulling and double-knotting!






7. When I was younger, all of the white space on the sides of my Chucks were quite useful for creative spurts of doodling, writing and tagging up in some fantastic way. (This can still be done, however, I must be fully committed to the artwork and/or be ready to treat myself to a new pair of Chucks for full-time rotation.)
8. I can be a "super-fan" for any team of choice with my Chucks. The Mets (blue and orange), my husband's softball team - The Shamrocks (green), all of our school Warrior teams (maroon) and nearly any sporting event I may get a last minute invite to!
9. I can easily wear a different pair of Chucks every single day of the week, breathing new life into my happy feet very single morning!






10. My Chucks make me happy in the simplest ways - they're comfy, they're cute, they're colorful and they're totally me







As each pair's personality grows with time and carries with it stories of steps it took with me on this crazy-cool life journey of mine, I can begin to understand how some women have love affairs with their super-fancy shoes... There's just something special about those dudes on our feet, on the ground carrying us around and the world that weighs on our shoulders - they get it, they've been there and they've seen us through it all.

Thank you, Chucks! For the comfort, for the love, for the understanding and the unending foot hugs!

Want a pair of your own? It's always nice to start with a basic black:
Converse All Star (Chuck Taylor )
Click to check 'em out!

What hugs your feet every day?
 Let us know why you love them so!
 
Join the RIVERA RUNS THROUGH IT FaceBook Fan Page to see some more reasons why I love my converse that didn't make the list!

15 comments:

  1. Funny that Converse are so in now, they used to be what I wore as a kid for gym shoes in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hilarious. When I first started wearing them to work on Fridays one of my students called them "clown shoes", by the time he was graduating he was buying them in multiple colors! I never let him live it down!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea for a post. I didn't realize those shoes came in so many colors.
    I love that top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome fun post! Love the list! I have a pair of clear converse that were bought to be worn with brightly colored handknit socks. Sadly my feet need the mother of all arch supports so my sad little clear converse are just lingering in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ann. That top photo almost didn't happen because my dog (Buffy) wasn't getting her beagle-butt out of the way all morning!!

    And Liberty, I have your solution: Dr. Scholl's!! They fit right inside :) You can rock your colors and get tons of support!!

    My feet, it seems, were made for Chucks, so the flatness doesn't bother me ;) but I know that's big problem for many who wish to brighten up their feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and I love Chucks, I wear them to church with my black dress pants. lol

    I wish they had purple. I tried to find some on-line but could not. I want royal purple. If you happen upon some please let me know.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! I don't own a pair, but that just might change in the near future. : )

    visiting from SITS31DBBB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, First of all I have rocked the Chucks with dress pants many a-time! God completely understands ;). Also, I don't know if this is exactly the Purple you are looking for, but I found these on Amazon (brace yourself for super-long url): http://www.amazon.com/Converse-Taylor-Purple-Passion-Canvas/dp/B002VR68Q0?ie=UTF8&tag=searchingfo-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969

    ...I need purple, too!

    Suzy - DO IT!!! Everyone should have at least one pair!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been toying with the idea of Chucks for a while. I have small feet, and most sneakers make me look like I've got Frankenstein shoes on. I think since Chucks have a smaller "profile" they may work for me. You may have just sold a new Chuck fan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh... then my work here is done, Anne. :)

    This is excellent news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them too! I especially like the blue and red, going to have to search for those. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. In writing this post I have found that they've got a lot on Amazon, but I have gotten a bunch of mine at the Converse OUTLET in Atlantic City!! I may lose my $$ gambling in AC, but I always save enough for one win in the outlet whenever we take a trip down (they also have t-shirts and other cool converse apparel!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never worn converse. In fact I don't really wear sneakers of any kind. This post makes me want to run out and buy a pair! Not sure what I'd wear them with but I'm sure I'd figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute post :) But it didn't answer my burning question! How many pairs do you own? I definitely decorated mine back in high school when they first started becoming cool but were still made in the US! I do a lot of walking so my only problem with them is the heels wear down quickly. Regardless, I'll always own a pair, they're classic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ourgloballove ~ you'll find something cool to wear them with. I am not the right person to ask because I wear them with EVERYTHING!! :P

    NewYorkCliche ~ The list is limited to 10 reasons I live in them because right now I only have 10 pairs! I had 11, but lost one in a flood last Spring - that was really one of my most heartbreaking moments in my flooded basement: watching my camouflage Chucks float by my shins :(
    My heels don't wear as quickly, but I do notice that I tend to kick the toes like crazy when I am standing for a long time... very bizarre habit!

    ReplyDelete