Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pottermore Findings... This Is Going To Be FUN!

After learning about Pottermore last week and posting everything I knew at the time, I continued to search, read and keep an eye on all things "pottermore" hoping that I wouldn't miss out on the next big clue. Since tomorrow is the official announcement day I have not hit on anything huge, but, pulling some pieces together, a picture of what is coming seems to be emerging.

MY CLUES: 

1. The Trademark "Goods and Services" Description of Pottermore as revealed to me through an article in The Escapist magazine is quite telling that Pottermore is designed to be an interactive online experience of sorts.
"Providing multiple-user access to a global computer information network; providing on-line chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among users in the field of general interest; providing on-line communications links which transfer the web site user to other local and global web pages; providing on-line facilities for real-time interaction with other computer users concerning topics of general interest"
2. All of the Beautiful Numbers that I so carelessly overlooked until I read the article Pottermore: What You Probably Missed in the Numbers. While I did take note of the fact that there were unchangeable numbers on the YouTube Announcement page, I did not stop to ask myself what the significance of these numbers was. While I definitely recognized that the number of owls was changing and that this was not a typical YouTube video, I have to be honest, I thought that was just a way to make things more intriguing to the viewer. This article changed my mind. THE NUMBERS ARE SIGNIFICANT! And of course they are - this is JK Rowling, after all, she has always used meaningful numbers in her work! Read the article, and pay attention!
The number of owls is now getting ridiculous - I count 32, plus the guy flying in the background!
3. The Leaked Memo Rumors are finally starting to surface about the details of some memo released to various newspapers concerning this large-scale PR event. This article Pottermore: Confidential PR Document? from The Independent seems to have the most details about it. [WARNING: Possible spoiler alert... if this leak is legit] This is a very exciting description including terms such as "Quill Quest," "wands being laced and found," and the "idea of a Daily Prophet wrap" along with a timeline stretching from late June (now) through October.

MY THOUGHTS:

If we combine all of these clues, along with the tool used to reveal Pottermore to Harry Potter fans - an online scavenger hunt (check out the video summation in last week's Pottermore post)- then I am fairly certain that we are on board for an online gaming experience. I am wondering, though, if this game will break through the virtual world and actually have some experiences in the real world.

Last year my husband and I got pretty roped up in such a quest following the We Lost Our Gold clues here in New York City. Video clues were given on YouTube, weekly, and they led to a treasure chest filled with $10,000 worth of gold coins hidden somewhere in the city. I gave up, swearing someone beat us to it on week eight, only to find out JUST NOW that no one has found it yet!! It was loads of fun to play along, to run through the city after a night of intense Internet research, so I wonder if JK Rowling will take this idea to global scale?

It's hard to say if something like that could work. However, I do believe the game is on. In some way, shape or form, I think those of us wrapped up in the Pottermore drama will be involved in some massive multiplayer online game. I'd love to see it somehow bridge the gap and connect us offline in the same way that the Harry Potter books brought us all back to bookstores, libraries and pages. I believe, if anyone can do it, JK Rowling, the great author of the magic arts, can! 

Do you like the idea of a massive multiplayer online game?
Have you found clues that have lead you to believe Pottermore will be something else? 

My Latest Pottermore Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment