Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pottermore: The First Steps on The Adventure

With great anticipation (and a strong desire to go right back to bed) I awoke at 6:45am this morning to be ready for the 7am reveal of JK Rowling's latest venture: Pottermore.

My laptop was on and already open to the YouTube announcement page, where I was able to watch the following:


Step 1: Following My Owl
The mesmerizing music and JK Rowling's soothing voice convinced me that staying awake was worth my time and I followed the owl to pottermore.com! In about an hour's time I had my e-mail submission accepted.
No, no - thank YOU!
 I read the message on the screen and wondered What should I do UNTIL July 31st??

Step 2: Finding Other Owls
I stared, in fascination at my column in tweetdeck dedicated to #pottermore - it just kept scrolling and scrolling - there was no time or way to read any of the tweets being posted. I have never seen anything like it. I closed it and started a new column searching #followtheowl and was able to pick up a couple of new twitter friends that might help me in my quest. 

Step 3: Help An Owl With Clipped Wings
Then I realized one of my friend was stuck at work and might not have been able to submit her e-mail. I texted her and found out this was the case. I went back to pottermore.com and tried over and over again. I can say this: now, passed 5:30PM, her e-mail has still not been accepted and the sit is acting even funkier than it started. The website has been overwhelmed by requests.

Step 4: Time to Sharpen My Beak
I spent most of my day reading press releases, finding new tweeps and trying to figure out what my next steps are. In a moment I will share the links of the most useful things I have found, but here is where my head is at:
On July 31st an e-mail will be sent out to everyone who gets their e-mail into pottermore.com between now and then. This e-mail will include some sort of registration process. The first one million people to complete that registration process will gain early access to the Pottermore world before it opens to the public in October. I don't know what that registration will include, but I doubt it will be easy and I will not be surprised if there are clues in the interim leading us to the correct responses. I am going to try to be one of the first million. If I make it - awesome. If I don't, well then October is my birthday month and I can't think of a better birthday gift than finally knowing which House at Hogwarts I belong to!

References and Where I Am Going Next:

Up Next
The livestream event is from The Leaky Cauldron peeps, so I am curious to see what they have to say tonight. I'd like to s if they have any suggestions for what to do between now and July 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment