Monday, June 6, 2011

The Birds and the Bees of Your Blog Life

As I expressed in my first post about the BlogWorld and New Media Expo 2011, the over-arching lesson I learned was that blogging is all about relationships. The first panel I attended, 365 Days to a Household Name led by Srinivas Rao of The Skool of Life blog and BlogCastFM podcast, started this theme right away when he began to analogize all of our Internet interactions with those that we undertake when finding our perfect mate.

I loved this analogy so much because it made clear to me the value of each of the interactions we take. I would like to share this delicate dance with you now so you can be better prepared for the World Wide Web.

THE FLIRT

Flirting is quick, it's easy, it's fun, oftentimes funny, and it can happen any number of times per day with any number of people in a room. All of this can happen without any of it holding that much meaning for anyone involved, however, for all relationships, there is usually some flirting in the beginning even if it is just to get noticed. So in the world of social media, on the path to developing relationships with readers, fellow bloggers, potential employers or potential clients if you want to flirt, then all you have to do it TWEET.

Twitter is the single most casual interaction held in the biggest, hottest party on the Internet. In 140 characters or less you give the twitterverse a little piece of you with every tweet - what you are interested in, what you write about, who you are. There is no commitment involved in Twitter, but when you've earned yourself a "follow," perhaps it is time to make the next move.

THE FIRST DATE

While you are busy blogging away and tossing your tweets out into the world, there are others doing exactly the same thing. Others you could be developing a relationship with. It is time to up your game with those you may think are worthy. As you are catching up on your reading, is there someone who's writing truly speaks to you? Or someone who is in your niche and may be someone you want to work with? Here are a couple of first date possibilities for you to consider:
  • Blog Comment ~ If you are a blogger, you know the value of this. Receiving a meaningful comment related to your post can have the same dizzying effect as going on a first date with someone special: Someone connected with you, they liked what you had to say and they cared enough to share back. This is definitely a way to move toward a relationship and for me, personally, has led to guest posting opportunities and a number of web friendships.
  • E-mail ~ In terms of the evolution of social media, e-mail is considered Web 1.0, you know - old news - however, sometimes old-fashioned charm is exactly what is called for on a first date. E-mail is not dead and it is very personal. If you want to make a one-on-one connection and you are not interested in doing it publicly, then this may be the move for you. Just keep in mind, for a first e-mail connect you want to keep it short and simple to ensure it is read.
As you continue your dating you can use some stand-out options that Srini shared in his session to deepen your connection. They are all pre-web, so you may want to grab a pen or something, because since they are pre-web they are unique in this digital age: send a letter, hand-written thank you notes, or even send a care package to a special someone who you wish to develop a working relationship with.

SEX?

This is where things get really personal and you are one on one - focusing on each other and (hopefully) nothing else. You may be saying to yourself That never happens in the social media world. Well, if you think about it for a moment, it will probably come to you. You can have this kind of connection with someone in a personal chat/instant message, through Skype, or with a Phone call (doesn't it seem to  always come down to somehow getting those digits?!). Anyone of these avenues is the type of communication that takes place between two people who want to connect and, oftentimes, are already in a social media relationship, or, at least, are on the fast track to having one.

THE RELATIONSHIP

So what are you in for? What are you working toward in this pretty little dance? Simply put: Conversations. In Social Media, on the Internet, and in your Blog Life your relationships are measured by your conversations. This isn't too different from what do in what we refer to as "real life," but it's something we sometimes think is beyond the reach of social media when we're seated behind the anonymity of our screens. It could be. If that's what you want. However, if you are looking for relationships, if you are looking to grow your blog, your business, your brand or simply just to find other like-minded individuals then it is time for you to start the dance - start flirting, dating and making some moves - in short, start having some CONVERSATIONS.

"Amazing things start happening when you start conversing for the sake of conversing." ~Srinivas Rao


Related Reading
Srinivas Rao
START BUILDING A RELATIONSHIP WITH RIVERA RUNS THROUGH IT



    26 comments:

    1. awww... you mentioned email! That hardly ever happens! (I blog about email) I love it (your post) Great analogies. Popped on over from SITS cuz I had to see your life ephiphany in action. Can't wait to read more.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Natalie. E-mail is super-important. I keep working on making an e-mail list for my blog(s), but I keep over-thinking it. I guess it is time I get over to your blog!!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. You mentioned *hand written notes!* {squee!} I love opening my mailbox (the one by my front door) and finding a real letter from someone!

      Did he happen to mention how you can get a snail mail address on the sly without it being stalkerish?

      ReplyDelete
    4. He didn't and, you know, I was wondering the same thing! I get the impression the examples he gave were probably of people who had a business addresses that were probably public knowledge.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Many things in life can be explained by comparing them to the dating game. But I hadn't thought of internet relationships as such. I still struggle with Twitter and I was never very good at flirting and perhaps now I know why...;-)

      ReplyDelete
    6. You know some people say that the "art of conversation is dead" and I think that the art of conversation is just getting fresh new start.

      It's funny I too have troubles with twitter and I am not a flirty person in a real life. Small talk doesn't come to me easy, but deep conversation is more of my forte.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'm with you both - tweeting, as flirting, is an art. I spend a lot of time watching and re-tweeting just to see what happens out there. I find it really interesting to follow all different kinds of people to see how they find their voice in 140 characters or less. There are some bloggers out there that are sheer masters, but the one profession that seems to have been built for twitter is comedy.

      Comedians are REALLY brilliant with twitter. Two of my favorite comedian follows are @SteveMartinToGo and @ConanOBrien, both are quick,funny and, for that reason fairly influential (they both have pretty good Klout scores).

      Of course, I imagine you are already following @problogger, but if not, watching his habits and how he promotes his blog(s), his products and his brand (himself) is very interesting.

      Finally, for a crash course in how to get your point across in 140 or less, pick a day to join a Twitter party. After my first Twitter party (1 hour long of talking about food, exercise and the Biggest Loser while watching the show) I began thinking completely differently about HOW to say things! I still like being verbose (is this reply any sign of that??), but having an internal editor is not a bad thing.

      In the end, I am no expert, but if there is one thing I have mastered in this life it is LEARNING - I LOVE TO LEARN and soak up info on all types of things! So, I'm learning twitter, and this is what I've picked up so far!

      ReplyDelete
    8. I don't know if I would've ever put the two together, but it's a great connection!!

      ~Mimi

      ReplyDelete
    9. Ha my soldier boyfriend will be happy to know that Skype is sex when he's deployed next time :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. I love this quote:
      Receiving a meaningful comment related to your post can have the same dizzying effect as going on a first date with someone special: Someone connected with you, they liked what you had to say and they cared enough to share back.


      So, so true!

      ReplyDelete
    11. That's sooooooo great!!! And a really fun analogy!

      ReplyDelete
    12. LMAO - I must be a hardcore flirt because I haven't ever reached the sex or relationship part (what a tease!).

      I love how you managed to compare dating to blogging...it really is all about relationships and putting yourself out there :)

      ReplyDelete
    13. This explains why I don't really like Twitter but love blogging - I'm more of a relationship kind of girl :)

      ReplyDelete
    14. Coming by from #commenthour -- This was really a very cute analogy. I'm going to use it when talking with my staff at work about social media!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Happy to have found you through #commenthour.

      Great analogy - social media is a lot like dating. And apparently I'm a little promiscuous. Shame.

      ReplyDelete
    16. I love this post! I have never skyped, and I HATE talking on the phone, so does that make me a prude? ; )

      ReplyDelete
    17. Love this post. And it is so true.

      I still feel like I'm just getting my feet wet in this whole blogger world. Getting back into dating is hard, isn't it?

      ReplyDelete
    18. Love this! Gotta learn to Skype :) #commenthour

      ReplyDelete
    19. I have yet to skype, likely for the same reason I havent vlogged yet.

      But flirting? Oh yes.

      ReplyDelete
    20. I love this analogy and the quote at the end of the post. Really great advice!

      Congrats on being featured!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Really cute analogy and very helpful info. Thanks! #CommentHour

      Amy @ A Little Nosh

      ReplyDelete
    22. I'm still trying to master facebook! Why don't my facebook messages show up in the news feed of folks that "like" The Budget Diet? Any suggestions? Thanks & stumbled!

      ReplyDelete
    23. Love this! Very funny analogy for the crazy world of social media!

      ReplyDelete
    24. Thank you all that have visited from #commenthour and my Stumble buddies!

      I am so glad this resonated with so many people, I felt the same way when I heard it which is exactly why I felt the need to share it.

      I would like to connect with each of you individually, and I hope you can forgive me if that waits one more day! I had a (potentially very good news) doctor's appointment today that has had me all over the map in terms of focus!

      Thank you so much for stopping by, thank you each for making the brazen first move of a "first date" by commenting and I CAN'T WAIT to see how our relationships develop!!

      All the Best,
      Nicole :)

      ReplyDelete