Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What If #5

This post is an invitation to you to think about the word in the middle of life: IF (L-IF-E). Each week the Rivera Runs Through It blog will present a different "What If...?" question for you to explore. Some will be serious, some will be silly, some might be political, religious or historical.

You can either write a response of your own, or just tune in to see what everyone else has to say about it. At the bottom of this post will be a place for you to link up your own post about the question, so feel free to share. If you have arrived at this post and the inlinkz tool is closed, or you don't have a blog, then please leave your response (or link) in the comment section below using DISQUS.

Happy pondering to everyone...


What IF #5:
What if we lost electricity forever?

This is one of the first "What if" questions I thought up for this project. I had no idea when I was going to post it, but the events of this past weekend had this question haunting me day and night. As Hurricane Irene journeyed up through the Caribbean, East Coast of the United States and even Canada, the power outages were raising all types of emotion on all of the social networks. I, too, worried about the possibility of power failure.

And now the numbers are pouring in 3 hours without power, 8 hours without power, over 24 hours without power and some inching past 48 hours without power. As I hear them all I am reminded of my thoughts when first thinking up this question: What if I lost electricity and it never came back? What if I wasn't the only one? What if electricity just, somehow, died? Which lead to the really meaty questions:
  • How much of my day to day would be affected?
  • Would I be able to function without electricity?
  • How steep is my learning curve for life off the grid?
  • What little joys would my life be missing, and which would I come to realize?
  • How would this change our social lives, working lives and family lives? 
I have so, so many questions! I think the answers could be really interesting for all of us. So what are your answers to these questions? What other questions does this raise for you? Link up below, or comment below to let us all know!





For a list of all of the What if questions asked so far, 


No comments:

Post a Comment