Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières


The following post is taken directly from one of my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.




Captain Corelli's MandolinCorelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

An absolutely breath-taking novel. A very interesting read from the start since DeBernières explores a different writing style for each chapter - absolutely amazing! I needed a dictionary by DeBernières had such an excellent hold of the English language. The story is romantic, tragic and historically set on an island in Greece during WWII. Every character and story introduced was fully explored and has become real. Movie comes out tomorrow! I can't wait - although I know it can't ever reach these expectations!

Dated: 08/16/01



Do you enjoy reading books before their movie adaptation comes out, or waiting until after?
 How do you feel about books where you have to look up lots of words just to keep up with the story?


No comments:

Post a Comment