Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What if #1

This post is an invitation to you to think about the word in the middle of life: IF (L-IF-E). Each week the Rivera Runs Through It blog will present a different "What If...?" question for you to explore. Some will be serious, some will be silly, some might be political, religious or historical.

You can either write a response of your own, or just tune in to see what everyone else has to say about it. At the bottom of this post will be a place for you to link up your own post about the question, so feel free to share. If you have arrived at this post and the inlinkz tool is closed, or you don't have a blog, then please leave your response (or link) in the comment section below using DISQUS.

***If you have a What IF? question you would like to submit as a possible future prompt, please do so in the Rivera Runs Through It Community What If discussion.***

Happy pondering to everyone...


What IF #1:
What if there's NOTHING?

I have been having a bit of a British invasion over here in my house and, as part of it, have been watching the entire series of the sci-fi series, Torchwood on Netflix (originally on BBC America and its newest season is on Starz). This "What if" question was inspired by this show. Starting in episode one there was this thing called a resurrection glove that could bring the dead back to life for a couple of minutes to help the crew find out the details of their deaths. However, given the chance, I guess the question couldn't be resisted, and one character asked the victim what death was like. The answer: there's nothing, just darkness, nothing.

I felt like I was punched in the gut while escaping into my happy little fictional land. As the show has continued (I think we are in season two now), this theme has continued. I have a feeling it is leading to some sort of alien explanation, but in the meantime, it got me thinking... What IF there's nothing?

Perhaps you've already pondered this before, but having lost my first parent when I was only 12 years old, and being raised a Roman Catholic, I simply have never entertained this option. I have pondered the ambiguity of my faith; the essence of faith relying on no proof of the things I believe, but I can't say I ever remember a time of thinking nothing.

So this is an intellectual exercise for me. Can I wrap my head around it? How would I live my life differently? 

This is a pretty intense What if question to begin with, but it was the out-of-left-field appearance of this pondering that truly inspired the entire What if project. I feel I would not be true to myself nor the nature of this entire project IF I did not start with a biggie. 


If you need some inspiration, just Imagine...
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
~John Lennon 
I can't count how many times I sang along to this song and never realized that John Lennon was challenging me then to imagine there's nothing. So join me in sharing with the world our answers to the first "What if" question: What if there's nothing?


No comments:

Post a Comment