Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.




The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Wow. I was first intrigued by this book when I first heard about it over the summer. As the year passed, more and more people were reading and discussing it. Finally, I got it for Christmas and began reading. A novel containing codes, conspiracy, symbolism and the curiosity of the Catholic religion - what more could I ask for? I am left with so many questions about the life of Jesus Christ, the possibility of the Holy Grail and all of the symbols hidden within art and pop culture I'm exposed to every day. It is no secret why this book is a runaway best seller.

Dated: 01/13/04

This was the first Dan Brown novel I read. On the other hand, my husband read "Angels and Demons" first. We were both enamored by our first read and not as impressed by the second. It was a debate that went on for quite some time between us - Da Vinci versus Angels and Demons. Finally, we settled upon a single truth: the books were so similar the debate was ridiculous. 


Have you ever had a book debate with a fellow reader or loved one? 
Does it still rage on? If not, how was it settled?


No comments:

Post a Comment