Saturday, January 21, 2012

Messes

What people somehow (inadvertently, I'm sure) forgot to mention when we were children was that we need to make messes in order to find out who we are and why we are here -- and, by extension what we're supposed to be writing.
~Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life page 
I love that I just read this at the end of my epic cleaning day.

I am a messy person. It is who I am. I know that it is a part of everything that I create and everything that works for me.

There are days I wish I wasn't a messy person, but those are the days, like today, where I do epic, brute-force cleaning of everything in sight. Those days are filled with deep thought and, just like Anne Lamott wrote, finding myself.

Ideas abound on these days.

Problems are solved on these days.

Plans are made on these days.

The only problem with these days is that there is little time to jot any of this brilliance down.

So... here's to hoping that something sticks tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment