Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What If You Gave Up TV? [Writing Prompt]

What if #21:

What if you gave up TV?

I'm currently in the process of cutting out cable and am finding the reception in my home for your basic over the air (OTA) TV, aka "free TV," is somewhat lacking. I'm facing the reality that television, as I've known it my whole life, may just no longer be in the cards. While there is always the option of streaming and subscribing to programs like Netflix, in the end, with only one income in the house every penny has to be counted. So I'm wondering, what if I gave up TV?

Would I accomplish more?

Would I save money or want to go out more often?

Would all of my chores be done at a human like speed?

Would I become more creative (or less)?

Would I write more? read more? bake more? get back to my drawing?

Would I be left out of conversations at social events (I already felt that sting when we dropped HBO!)?

Would I keep up on the news?

The questions abound. Honestly, anytime I am in the presence of someone who says they have "given up TV" I am immediately enamored with them and wish to spend as much time talking to them as possible. I always imagine them to be so much deeper, more intelligent, more well read and well verse than I... is it a myth?

What do you think? Have you already done it? If so, what have you gained/lost from taking "the leap"? If you have not, is it something you would consider? Why or why not? Write your response and link it up below.







Each week the Rivera Runs Through It blog presents a different "What If...?" question for you to explore.
Link up your own post about this week's question. If you have arrived at this post and the inlinkz tool is closed, or you don't have a blog, then please leave your response (or link) in the comment section below using DISQUS.

For a list of all of the What if questions asked so far, 


No comments:

Post a Comment