Monday, September 19, 2011

My Contribution to the Bullying Problem

I just found out about a 14 year old boy who died on Sunday.

It's heartbreaking. He was just a child. His life had barely begun.

He had just started high school.

He was getting bullied... again.

Did I mention that he died at his own hand?

No excuse. As a unified front of humanity we should all be personally affronted by this act. We should all stop and really ask:

WHY DOES THIS CONTINUE TO HAPPEN?

Who are we as a species? Who are we as a people? WHO ARE WE that we can not even protect our children from themselves?

Something is very wrong. 

We keep preaching that bullying is wrong. Everyone agrees. I'm sure even the bullies do.
We keep sharing our own stories of being bullied. Everyone knows it hurts. I'm sure everyone knows this feeling.
We keep teaching that bulling shouldn't be done. Everyone supports this. I'm sure we all believe we are doing all we can.

But then we 
  • Rip apart celebrities on tabloids, television shows and in the news rather than allowing them to lead their own lives.
  • Watch shows where people are judged (that's fine for a talent show) but then are often humiliated publicly while others laugh.
  • Create a culture where supporting someone and tearing them down may often happen in the same breath (I am thinking here of Charlie Sheen's fans and how they reacted when they went to his live show).
And I say "we" because I know there are times when I engage in some of these behaviors out of social norm, forgetting the bigger picture. Forgetting that these things matter.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

 So my dear child, who took his own life this Sunday, I am sorry. I am sorry I didn't know you. I am sorry I didn't hear you. I am sorry for any negative ripples from my pond reaching your waters. I hope you can rest in peace and I hope you hurt no longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment