Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What if #9

This post is an invitation to you to think about the word in the middle of life: IF (L-IF-E). Each week the Rivera Runs Through It blog will present a different "What If...?" question for you to explore. Some will be serious, some will be silly, some might be political, religious or historical.

You can either write a response of your own, or just tune in to see what everyone else has to say about it. At the bottom of this post will be a place for you to link up your own post about the question, so feel free to share. If you have arrived at this post and the inlinkz tool is closed, or you don't have a blog, then please leave your response (or link) in the comment section below using DISQUS.

Happy pondering to everyone...

What IF #9:
What if I had/hadn't ______________?

It's our first fill in the blank What If question!!

Nearly three months ago when I started compiling my great "What if" questions, I started asking everyone I knew in the real life, and virtually, what their own personal great "What if" questions were. The single most popular answer across the board were questions that fit this mold. Some examples:
  • What if I had finished college?
  • What if I hadn't stayed in that abusive relationship so long?
  • What if I had said "Yes"/"No" to _______? (that proposal, the job offer, that first date)
  • What if I hadn't gone to that party?
I think you get the idea... When asked to think about "What Ifs," most people wondered about the choices they made in their life (some big and some small) and what alternate reality they would be living in had they made those choices.

I have resisted posting this question with a fear that it would be interpreted as a request to rehash regrets in some way. I think this question could be a celebration of the serendipitous little moments in our lives that lead us to our current existence. In the end, it is up to you how you would like to interpret it, but, unless one question screams aloud with a desire to be written about RIGHT NOW, then take a moment and then of all of the different angles you can approach this from!

There it is, finally, due to popular demand of the topic, here is your chance to pick your own What if! This week, create your own "What if" question, beginning either with "What if I had...." or "What if I hadn't..." and take it where you like - be as serious, sentimental, or as silly as you like. These questions can go in so many different directions!

 I look forward to the responses, link up or comment below!






For a list of all of the What if questions asked so far, 

No comments:

Post a Comment