Friday, September 30, 2011

A Wonderful Wellie Day

As each step splashes water up over her toes, Amber smiles in the lamplight's reflection on the wet ground beneath her. This spot, with the benches lined up is usually packed with people reading, meeting with friends, workers catching a quick lunch, but not now, not today. Why? Because right now it's begun to rain.

She's got her Wellies on, along with her hooded raincoat and can plainly see she is the only one on the street. As she stopped for a moment to absorb the silence, stillness and peace of the world around her sitting on one of the benches, she was suddenly thankful for the moment.

A smile emerged. She could no longer contain herself. She tilted her head back and, with both hands, pulled her hood down shaking her long chestnut colored hair free. She closed her eyes just to feel the moisture on the tenderness of her eyelids.

When she fully relaxed with head back, eyes closed, wide smile and arms stretching in either direction across the back of the bench, Nature seemed to respond to what her inner child was begging for: Wellie-worthy rain.

GLOP! on her finger.

GLOP! on her forehead.

GLIP GLOP! on the bench beside her.

GLIP GLIP GLOP GLOP! large, almost bouncy raindrops were falling all around. It was the one on her eyelid, though, that caused her to finally laugh out loud.

As if suddenly possessed by Gene Kelly himself, Amber jumped from her seat and burst into dance. First she climbed atop the bench, smiling, laughing and even cheering the rain on. Next she jumped down, two feet, side-by-side, straight into a puddle forming at the base of one of the lampposts, which she then, of course, grabbed and swung herself around.

She was smiling the way one does when they have finally released all of their inhibitions because they are sure no one is looking. Which Amber had every reason to believe. She knew there was no other soul on the street. She knew the windows were dark. And she knew no one had any business staring out onto a misty street on a seemingly ordinary day.

I was, though, because I was always by my window, fascinated by the beauty the mist captured on our lamp lit walkway. I never expected to find Amber there.

I never expected to fall in love that day. I didn't know I was going to find the girl I would marry on a bench outside my apartment window smiling, laughing and dancing in the rain.

I never expected it, but when I saw her I knew I had found the girl of my dreams.


This post was written in response to a prompt from the Write On Edge group. It is part of their Red Writing Hood writing meme that is posted each Tuesday and links up each Friday.
This week, we want you to be inspired by pictures.  Write a piece – fiction or creative non-fiction – based on your reaction to either of these photos. (I put the photo I used at the top of the piece).
Word limit is…600

No comments:

Post a Comment