Monday, September 19, 2011

An Open Question to Fellow Whovians: The God Complex

I watch Doctor Who.

It makes me think.

Then I have questions.

I pester the same people week after week with these questions FORGETTING COMPLETELY THAT I HAVE A BLOG!

This week's episode, The God Complex, has raised a big question for me about the Doctor himself and I am wondering where Whovians stand on their interpretation of these events.


[SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen the season 6, episode 11 entitled The God Complex and do not want any of it to be spoiled for you, then I advise you STOP READING THIS RIGHT NOW UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE!]




My Big Question: What is the Doctor's motivation at the end of the episode?

The doctor decides, at the end of this episode, to bring his companion(s) home before it is necessary. Now, Amy (and Rory) have been through hell and back with the Doctor, so they definitely have reached what would be considered "the limit" for some, but they did not request an end to their adventures, the Doctor, uncharacteristically, volunteered it.

In the past (mind you I have only watched the re-boot of the Doctor Who series, as Netflix has yet to acquire the completed versions of the previous Doctors and I don't like watching things piece-meal), the Doctor has only ended his companion relationships when it was either beyond his control, or it is the literal last thing to be done in order to save their lives. He destroys people. He takes them on the adventure of a lifetime, of TWO lifetimes, even, and then returns them to their world as (in some way) broken human beings. No one really complains about it, they all come to the understanding that this is the cost of the travel, but it is what seems to transpire, nonetheless. Then, all of a sudden, on this weekend's episode of Doctor Who, the Doctor brings Amy and Rory home to a brand new home, a shiny new car and says, "Ta-ta! Didn't want to mess you up any worse off than I already did!"

image from Whoinverse


So the optimist in me jumped on this - Wow! The Doctor is growing, and learning from all of his years of experience... so sad he has to suffer alone.

Then I mulled it over for a while. Amy had to abandon her faith in the Doctor in this episode. She had to convince herself finally that he could not fix everything. And obviously, she did or else the Minotaur monster would not have died.

Which brings me, finally, to my question: 
Did the Doctor leave Amy to save her, or just because she finally understood that he is "just a madman in a box"? Does the Doctor need companions for companionship or some level of worship? 

While I know the term "Lord" has a different meaning in the British vernacular, in my world (of a catholic school upbringing) it is a pretty lofty title, so is the need for some sort of worship embedded in the Time Lord being?

I have a feeling these things will all be revealed in time, but I was just wondering what others thought about them now based on what we know of the Doctor so far. (Perhaps those of you who have known the Doctor longer than I will have an even deeper insight).

So, Whovians - What do you think?! Of course, there is one other  burning question from this weekends episode I'm sure everyone is salivating at:  
WHO/WHAT DID THE DOCTOR SEE IN "HIS" ROOM? 
I feel pretty confident that he saw himself, but I get surprised ALL THE TIME, so what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment