Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11 This ONE Day

To know me is to know my love of patterns, particularly number patterns.

I don't just like numbers, I notice them in their curious configurations on a fairly frequent basis.

When I write dates in their numerical format this happens quite frequently. When I taught in a classroom and had to write the date on the board every day my obsession grew exponentially.

Today's date is one that I have thought about for a long time. It's so special that even those without my keen eye for special dates (sum days, anyone?) will stop to notice it... But why is today so special? Today's date is not just like 01-01-01, or last year's 10-10-10. It is so much more than the month, day and year all being represented by the same two digits. Today's date, 11-11-11, is that and more.

Today's date is the only one in which the same digit, and only that one digit, is used six times to write the date. This only happens once every century. Since I wasn't around in 1911, and, unless there are some really incredible breakthroughs in the science of longevity, I do not foresee being around 2111 - this truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Maybe it is for you too.

I just like to note when these little things happen.

I hope you enjoy this ONE day :)
Related Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment