Monday, November 7, 2011

Wand Dueling for Harry Potter Fans

 My People Gathered at The Hasbro Stage
 
Isn't this bag great?!
Being a Potterhead myself, I was among my own at the New York Comic Con this year. There were so many people dressed in their school robes, wands in hand ready for all kinds of mischief. There were more still, not in costume, like myself, sporting Harry Potter t-shirts, bags, hats or some other adornment to ensure every knew where their true allegiances lie.

On the Friday morning of the Con there was a calling of sorts, a gathering of all Potter fans to meet at the Hasbro stage. You see, at the Hasbro stage there was going to be a lesson on wand dueling! Muggles, wizards and witches gathered around the stage to learn the art of wand waving surely in the distinct hopes that we could all walk away just a tiny bit more magical for having done so.

The Group That Shall Not Be Named

As I sat waiting for the ceremony to begin, I watched as the fellow fans gathered. Suddenly, a small group arrived with costumes that were plainly more authentic than the rest. Not only did this group have richer looking materials, wands and gait they also happened to look like characters right out of the films! I was not surprised then that this group walked confidently to the stage.

This group is known as "The Group That Shall Not Be Named"and they were going to lead us in our lessons. The Group That Shall Not Be  Named is the New York Harry Potter Meetup group (if you have not checked out meetup.com for finding cool people with cool things to do, then it's about time you check it out!). They have monthly meetings and play Quidditch in Riverside Park! They describe themselves as:
W e are THE Harry Potter fan group in the New York City and Tri-State area.  Our activities cater to every aspect of fandom. From fan fic and fan art, to cosplay and Wizard Rock.

And I sat there wondering, "How the heck did I miss THIS Meetup group?"
(And now, as I am writing this post I am wondering, "Nicole WHY HAVEN'T YOU JOINED YET?!?!")

They are quite impressive in their fandom.

And in their wand skills.

Wand Dueling 101
Well, just your wands, really...
Since I thought it would be impossible for me to explain the intricacies of wand movement and instruction through my words alone, I went to the "class" armed and ready with my camera. So here is my not-so professional video of Wand Dueling by Bellatrix LeStrange of The Group That Shall Not Be Named at the New York Comic Con 2011.

Enjoy! 


Do you think you can do it?
Are you ready to duel?
What magic tricks can you share with ME?

No comments:

Post a Comment