Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What if #15 [Writing Prompt]

Each week the Rivera Runs Through It blog presents a different "What If...?" question for you to explore.
 At the bottom of this post is a place for you to link up your own post about this week's question. If you have arrived at this post and the inlinkz tool is closed, or you don't have a blog, then please leave your response (or link) in the comment section below using DISQUS.

Happy pondering to everyone...




What IF #15:
What if you had to kill whatever living thing you chose to eat?

November 1st is International Vegan Day. It ends Vegetarian Awareness Month. Last year, I actually celebrated in November by going meatless every Monday. It gave me a lot of time to think about what I was eating, why I was eating it and what choices I make every single time I have a meal.


It is impossible to go through such an activity without this week's what if question wandering into your consciousness. I live in an incredibly convenient world where I don't have to think about the ugliness of death each time I have a meal, however, more times than not it is actually a death that makes that meal possible. If I chose differently, then perhaps a life could be saved. I understand this, yet, although I claim to value all life, I continue to eat meat, poultry and fish...


So, a year has passed and I am asking myself, and anyone else reading:
What if you had to kill whatever living thing you chose to eat?
  • Could you do it? 
  • Do you already do it?
  • Would you change your diet?
  • If so, why not change your diet now?
  • Honest;y, what has a greater affect on your eating decisions: ethics or convenience?
Think about it. Write about it. Link up below!





For a list of all of the What if questions asked so far, 

No comments:

Post a Comment