Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fish! by Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul & John Christensen


The following post is taken directly from my hand-printed Reader's Journal. I will be sharing these reflections each week on the Rivera Runs Through It blog. The date at the end of each post is the date of the original writing, which is typically the date I completed the book. The reflections are short, but represent my initial reactions to a book, a brief summary of the book or the questions it raised for me at the time. I hope you enjoy this segment in my blog and feel free to comment on what you read here.





Fish! by Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul & John Christensen

I was given a copy of this book from my principal, Mr. Seto. It is easy to see why one would want to implement the Fish! Philosophy at Curtis [high school I worked in at the time of reading], however, it is a large task to undertake. To bring more energy to the workplace, these are the Fish principles:
  1. Choose Your Attitude
  2. Play
  3. Be There
  4. Make Their Day
I know I've done these things before, but I feel as though I have abandoned some of them. I hope to help in being a force to make Curtis, more specifically, its math department, a more pleasant place to work!

Dated: 05/17/03

It didn't take long at Curtis, and even less time in the math department, for everyone to choose their attitude. I don't know what the shift was exactly, but when I had to leave teaching due to my illness, I must say the single biggest heartache was leaving that castle on the hill that embraced (and maybe even rewrote some of ) the Fish! Principles.


Does your workplace embrace these principles? Do YOU?



No comments:

Post a Comment